And this is where we ran into a problem. Rosanne and I were expecting magical results, that we'd brush on the metal and patina and bam - it would be this awesome transformation in these vivid, bright colors. But here is the issue, Swellegant is fussy stuff. You need to do a little artsy-fartsy mojo to get the best results. And I'll share some of those tips below. Now if you aren't the artsy type, don't worry - with a little trial and error you can get it.
If you like instant gratification - this is not the coloring system for you. It takes a lot of back and forth to get good results, there is some serious wait time between coats and then after it's ALL said and done you need to wait 48-72 hours and apply a matte sealer. Is it worth it? During the process I was ready to say no, but after giving it some time and working at a little more - I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. And now no piece of metal is safe in my house! Rosanne on the other hand felt it was too time intensive and didn't get consistent enough results. I will try to win her over again, probably at my retreat this fall because I am so using these in one of my classes!
Oh and another tip - you can't mess it up, use light coats of paint each time to avoid losing details. But if you get to the end and hate your results, just hit it with another coat of metal and patina again to start over.
Here are my results on various metals (mostly pewter) and polymer clay. Scroll down to the bottom for some of my formulas.
Ancient Bronze Patina
Acid Green (These are Rosanne's pieces)
Copper Acid Bath
Midsummer Night's Dream
MC = Metal Coat, P = Patina, D=Dye-Oxide
1. Brass Patina - Brass (MC), Tiffany Blue (P), Aqua Green (D), White (D), Brass (MC)
2. Bronze Patina - Bronze (MC), Tiffany Blue (P), Aqua Green (D), White (D), Bronze (MC)
3. Ancient Bronze - Bronze (MC), Tiffany Blue (P), Aqua Green (D) repeat dye 2 x, Bronze (MC)
4. Copper Patina - Copper (MC), Tiffany Blue (P), Aqua Green (D) White (D), Copper (MC)
5. Golden Patina - Brass (MC) Green-Gold Verdigris (P), Aqua Green (D), White (D), Sun Yellow (D), Brass (MC)
6. Acid Green - Bronze (MC), Green-Gold Verdigris (P)
7. Copper Acid Bath - Copper (MC), Green-Gold Verdigris (P), Tangerine Orange (D), Chartreuse (D), White (D), Chartreuse (D), Copper (MC)
8. Rusted Iron - Iron (MC), Tiffany Blue (P), Blood Red (D), Silver (MC), Iron (MC)
9. Midsummer Night's Dream - Bronze (MC), Purple (D), Indigo (D), Purple (D), White (D) Bronze (MC), Brass (MC)