April 2, 2012

Dogwood Blossom Jewelry

Spring Eternal

I spent some time making jewelry this weekend.  My sweet aunties came up to visit me and we sat around playing with beads, snacking on cookies and chatting the afternoon away. Rosanne and I swapped beads and pawed through each other's treasures. She traded me a bird from Spirited Earth with some lampwork beads and a deer from Round Rabbit.  I'm quite pleased!

I love how everything is slowly coming to life, the blooms on the trees mixed in with the copper and browns left over from the long winter. I wanted to capture that in my necklace.

I picked up the beaded bead and flower focal at Micheal's a few weeks ago. This necklace includes patina branches and pine cones from Patina Worx, one of my dogwood pendants, the pearl beaded bead is another find from Michael's.  The enameled piece is something I created thanks to Barbara Lewis' book!  I threw in some lucite flowers, a clock charm from Earthenwood Studios and a pewter branch embellished with crystals.

My sweet Evangeline modeled it for me.  I'm finding more and more of my inventory incorporated into their daily outfits, mostly pendants - they are quite fond of my nests, book pendants and some of my smaller pieces.  I don't let they big ones like this go far from my bead table!

The clock from Earthenwood Studio.  I love how a simple bead can change a design into a story.  A visual clue can add a bit of poetry into a random collection of floral components. You can read more about using beads to create poetry in your jewelry in my book, Jewelry Designs from Nature.

More of my dogwood pieces - I'm loving these for spring.  I made the smaller version a few weeks ago used here in the earrings. The dogwoods were created from an antique spoon in my grandmother's collection.  I feel so sentimental whenever I see these, thinking fondly of her and summers spent in South Haven over the last few years.  I'm looking forward to our first summer here as residents, soaking in the beach, the farmer's markets, gardening and all the beauty Michigan has to offer each season.

9 comments:

Beverly Herman said...

Each piece you create is more beautiful than the last. I love the memories you incorporate into each design. I am looking forward to sitting at the table with you and creating something together. Soon very soon!

flyingbeader said...

How beautiful. My Grandma's dogwoods would always bloom so vibrantly. She once dug up a small one for me, but alas I did not have the green thumb that she had. I think a small town in Southern Ohio still has the Dogwood Festival, but I haven't been able to go in years. Nice to see the blooms here. Thank you.

TesoriTrovati said...

oh crush! That is totally my style. I love it. I love the way you pulled together colors and shapes and patterns. So effortlessly cool!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Spirited Earth said...

it's especially wonderful that your aunts are so creative and that you can share your beading interests..
love this necklace..

Cindy said...

What an incredibly gorgeous necklace - and so very romantic! I especially love how you show it worn with the lace top. Just love it!

KJ said...

Lovely necklace, but what I especially liked was your tale of trading beads.

swopemelmel said...

Wow, I love it. How do you do it?
When I put together an assortment of unique beads such as this it just looks like an odd mess. LOL
I do believe your sweet Evangeline has a future career as a neck model. Mel

CraftyHope said...

That necklace is absolutely drool-worthy!! Of course, I wouldn't dare drool NEAR it. In either case, it's exceptionally lovely. I adore all the flowers in it. And how nice that you got to spend some time with your family too!

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

I love love love your necklace and dogwood earrings. Stunning!
Sonya