September 19, 2014

Featured Designer: Martha Thomas


I love seeing what my customers make with their Humblebeads! Please don't let your art beads stay hidden away in boxes, pull those treasures out and make something to wear or to give as a gift.  

Art beads are happiest in fresh air being admired by all!

I thoroughly enjoy seeing jewelry show up in my Facebook feed that feature my beads! I'm always thrilled at how clever designers are and love seeing all the different ways my beads are used. If you share something on Facebook make sure you tag me either as Heather Powers or Humblebeads. Or share your creations directly on my Facebook page

Martha Thomas of Martha's Ruby Acorn is one such designer who brightens my day every time I see one of her jewelry creations sporting a Humblebead! So much so, that I just had to share some of my favorites with you.  Enjoy the eye candy! 

A bright and sunny Van Gogh Sunflower Long bead is paired up with lampwork glass and lush silk ribbon.

 
Humblebeads Bittersweet disk beads are paired with pearls. I love the little touches here like the bead caps on the bottom of the pearls and the pieces of wire curled into tendrils.

One of my favorite pieces from Martha pairs up my Peacock bracelet cuff with a few peacock Humblebeads disks and complemented by a rustic bit of silk ribbon for a very bohemian effect.

Martha is really strutting her stuff with the peacock theme - I love it! Here the peacock pendant is paired with lampwork beads, peanut seed beads and accents of Czech glass. Isn't using the waxed linen a great way to showcase those lampwork beads.
This necklace exudes happiness! The Humblebeads Rainbow Butterfly is set among Czech glass flowers and lampwork spacers in this colorful creation. Notice the colorway on of the peanut seed beads? I love that little touch!

This pair of earrings really caught my attention. What a great way to make tiny charms get noticed! Great mix of materials with the leather, waxed linen and metal findings. 

 Martha used a few beads from one of my Blooms & Birds sets to create this fun bracelet. Very clever asymentrical design here using the bead color to unite the three larger elements and even though they are very different they have have the same visual weight which makes this bracelet a very pleasing design.


H: Martha how long have you been making jewelry and what's the story behind your business name?

M: I've been making jewelry for about eight and a half years now. I never tire of playing with textures and colors. The name for my shop came about like this . . . I love the simplicity of acorns, as well as the saying: inside every acorn is an entire forest. To round out the name I included my birthstone: ruby. And voila! Ruby Acorn was born!

 You can find Martha's shop at Martha's Ruby Acorn on Etsy.

Thank you Martha for sharing your creations with us!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you, Heather! :) Cheers - M.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for featuring these - it has encouraged me to do as you ask - get your gorgeous works of art (beads) out and make something with them.

In the next couple of weeks I will rendezvous to do just that - even if my 'design' proves to be 'just' a pendant.

Deb Fortin said...

lovely jewellery, great inspirations. this is an inducement to stop hiding my art beads in my storage container and " Get em out in the open ".

Unknown said...

I can see why April's creations are highlighted. Wow! They are really fantastic!

Unknown said...

OK I don't know how to remember names very well. I mean Martha sorry.

Unknown said...

Really superbly done and the colors and textures! WOW! I love your work!