May 29, 2009

Oh Nuts!

I've been sneaking in some late night jewelry making sessions over the last month. These designs were created a few weeks ago and I'm just now finding a few spare minutes to share them. Lorelei had sent me a strand of very funky nuts, I'm not sure what they are called, and challenged me to do something creative.

I started by assembling a collection of larger beads: a shell and wood bead, ceramic, turquoise-daggers-of-awesomeness, and a buttery yellow urchin I made before the Bead Cruise. I sprinkled in some copper spacers, brass chain and a fish pendant/clasp thing from Vintaj. (I get all my Vintaj from my good buddies at Bello Modo.) And I had to add in a little brown lava bead from Rings & Things. They are popping everywhere in my designs, they are just so much fun and so very versatile.

The finished piece reminds me of my recent trip to Costa Maya, a beachy tribal design. This will be in my etsy shop soon along with a whole slew of summer inspired jewelry.

A detail of the clasp
a matching bracelet

10 comments:

Célio said...

Olá, passei para dar uma olhadinha em seu blog, muito interessante.
Parabéns.
Abraços.

Anonymous said...

Very cool pieces, love them, great work!

Doreen said...

Very pretty! I like those funky nuts!

TesoriTrovati said...

Funky nuts indeed! I love that stripety-striped one...is that the ceramic? What a fun way to kick start your creativity with a gift of mystery beads from a friend. Too.Much.Fun. (and I daresay that you would be loads of fun to beach bum it with!)
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Heather Powers said...

Thanks for stopping by Celio, Marbella & Doreen!

Erin that bead is a shell on top with wood on the bottom. They were strung as a stretchy bracelet, I picked them up at a Rings & Things show.

Anonymous said...

They look like Brazil nuts!

Lorelei Eurto said...

The nuts are called:
Edjok Nut Beads and you can find them here at Beads n Pieces:
http://www.beadsandpieces.com/edjok-nut-beads-14x20mm.html
Nice work HP! I think the set is FUNKA-LICIOUS! Now I'm hungry for some nuts!



*that's what she said.

Rosanne said...

They do look like something edible for sure!

Jean Hutter said...

Love both the necklace and the bracelet - very creative. I especially like the coloring in the necklace, the turquoise with the warm buttery shade of the nuts and the creams - great job!!!!!!

Dave Robertson said...

Great stuff - how nice of Lorelei to share these Edjok nuts. Coincidentally I was just doing some work with our new ebony-tree nuts (beads) and I'm getting convinced that this is my new favorite kind of bead. A possibility for guys' jewelry?

BTW - I was translating some Portuguese on someone else's blog, so in case you didn't figure it out, here's what Celio wrote:

"Hi, I stopped by to have a peek at your blog, very interesting. Way to go. Hugs."

--Dave
at Rings & Things