June 27, 2011

Muffin Tin Challenge Complete!

Well, I wasn't about to throw a big ol' challenge out there without doing it myself.  So my crazy muffin tin challenge was a little bit of a struggle for me, but I did it.  It was hard to stick with what was in the tray rather than getting side tracked, but I avoided temptation and pushed the other beads aside while i focused on those little cups of goodies.

I can't show any great detail because what I finished was 4 possible magazine submissions, 3 possible future book projects and 4 upcoming free projects. Well, wait Heather, that doesn't exactly add up to 12.  I know, I know, one piece is not singing my tune and will end being edited before it goes anywhere.

I used beads from Bead & Button in every project - yeah!  And I found that by the last piece I suddenly had the urge to make a pendant with 3 beads.  Just saying, 12 projects over 3 days is a lot of work, after the 2nd necklace I started pulling in a lot more chain into my designs to complete the projects.

I can see using this format again when I have another round of projects coming up, like for the next book or another round of magazine submissions.  It really helped to clear out the mental clutter and focus on the tasks at hand.  Although I think next time I will include a little sketching before the bead gathering, having more of a plan before I started may have saved me some design time.

11 comments:

Leslie Todd said...

Great job Heather! If you aren't already, maybe you should think about the challenge itself being a magazine article.

To a certain extent limiting your choices to what's in the cup frees you to be creative without millions of possibilities intruding. Sometimes too many choices get in the way of the creative process.

I really enjoyed this challenge, partly for the reason above, but also because having the muffin tin out where I could see it was inspiring. Thanks for doing it.

lynsey said...

beautiful pieces, what a fantastic challenge

Jen Judd said...

I agree...the limiting is actually helpful. But, that means you still have to focus on choosing what your limits will be! I found that the filling of the cups took longer than actually putting the pieces together. Sketching would probably be helpful, too, because I looked at a few of my choices and wondered what I was thinking when I put them together in the first place just a day or two earlier. Thanks for the challenge!
Jen

KristiBowmanDesign said...

Thanks for the challenge, any new challenge is good imo. It was fun and I accomplished more than I thought I could at first. What we can see of your creations they look yummy!!

Kate said...

Loved it! Thanks for putting it out there :)

TesoriTrovati said...

You rock.
And you're a tease.
'nuf said.

;-)
Enjoy the day.
xox
e

CraftyHope said...

What I CAN see of your completed projects is just lovely! I can't wait to see them in all the other places.
Thank you so much for this challenge. It was a ton of fun as well as a great learning experience and test of inspiration. Loved it!

My Life Under the Bus said...

It definately makes you focus and get to the point - I do like grouping what i'm thinking of together - when the time comes it makes it much easier to see wether that's the way to go or not. It def was stressful with such a short time frame! : P Beautiful as always Heather!

Off the Beadin' Path said...

ElEVeN!! Really?! That says a lot for motivation! I was straining to see details, but will have to wait for the appropriate time! Good for you - a great idea and you set the example! When I try this, I'm using my muffin tin that makes FoUR (4) very large muffins, Ha Ha! Thanks Heather for sharing your pieces and this great inspiration!

Kelley said...

I haven't done this with muffin tins, but it's a great idea! What I did do is take that stack of empty prepared dinner trays from my dad (not the healthiest of eaters, and he doesn't throw anything remotely usable away! LOL) and I'm using those. They really help me focus if I'm getting ready for shows. If I see a nice combo I like, I get out a tray and put stuff together in the little compartments and set it aside, that way it seems to clear my mind a bit so I can focus on the project at hand.

Michelle Mach said...

This does really help me stay on task. I do something similar with little baggies when I want to create something for a magazine, so it's easy for me to take one little project and just work on that wherever I feel like setting up an impromptu studio. I've never done 12 at one time! That is very impressive!