February 11, 2010

The Chain Gang

Oh those buds of mine at Rings & Things sent me this chain before Christmas. It sat on my desk waiting for inspiration to strike and ta-da! I present to you another Rings & Things Blog Partner post.

The first chain is a ring/connector copper chain.  I liked the open and airy feel of the chain and thought it would pair up nicely with a whole mess of dangles.

And said mess includes a lovely collection of spring inspired hues.  Sky blue and lime green branch disk beads, crystals and drops in a pinky/peach color, green Czech glass drops that look like eggs and copper disks.
The clasp is pretty amazing, right? It's a C-Koop enamel toggle that I bought from Bello Modo on the Bead Cruise.  I love the color. 

The next necklace I lovingly refer to as the 'big chunk'.  When I first saw that crazy wooden chain, I thought what in the world can I do with this that won't look like a prop for Marley from A Christmas Carol.  Well, after seeing the latest R & T catalog with a great design using the chain, I was inspired.  It's huge and not for the faint of heart, but I like.  I wear with a black and white striped shirt, it has some sort of nautical vibe to me.  No, I don't get out much.

The other half of the necklace is created with large oval curb chain in copper. The key is a repo from Ornamentea and just hangs there like some weird tassel.  Okay, did I mention when I wear this I walk up and down my hallway pretending I'm modeling some haute couture design. 

One of my Pop Art focal beads and a toggle made with copper link and wire.  Okay, enough of that one - here is the design from Rings & Things that uses the wood chain in a much better design.  If I could pick the wood chain to work with, it would have been this one.

13 comments:

Beverly Herman said...

You cracked me up! I could see you modeling that chunky monkey swaggering down the hallway!!

Beverly Herman said...

Back to the Chain Gang. I love the style and design of this one. If it is looking for home you sent to me!

Geraldine said...

will the copper chain make your neck green? i love copper but have always been afraid to use it on a chain.

Pearl and Pebble said...

I love these! I was looking at a wooden chain the other day and couldn't get a good mental picture of a finished design. I don't think I was "breaking it up" enough. I love what you did with this-and you say the secret is all in the swagger eh?

Esther said...

beautiful, beautiful and beatiful!!! bravo!!

faithfullydriven said...

These are outstanding and I love your beads!

Debbie
www.expressivelyjewels.intuitwebsites.com

Jean Hutter said...

wonderful designs and that clasp is just amazing

Jen Judd said...

I was thinking the same thing: you crack me up! I love the copper chain...I'm inspired to go make a bunch of danglies. Well, after Grey's haaaaaaaaa

TesoriTrovati said...

Yea... that wood chain has my knickers in a bunch. I swear it is taunting me every time I sit down at my studio table. I lopped off one of the big "O" links (for the record, Olivia thinks it is just for her!) and I am toying with making it a single piece, a focal, or a toggle clasp of its own. Hmmmm. You have me thinking that there is beading to be done! Enjoy the day!
Erin

Michelle said...

Love all the movement and texture in the 1st necklace. I've been diving into lighter brighter colors myself! Spring is on the way...even in the great white north of Wisconsin!
Bead Happy!
Michelle

Jeannie said...

I'm in love with the first one I can't take my eyes off it.

Heather Powers said...

Geraldine - pure copper chain will turn you green, as least in my experience. This is a plated chain and I'm sure it has some kind of coating on it because it doesn't leave any green.

Erin, that idea had crossed my mind too. But I was determined to use the whole dang thing!

Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone.

Pretty Things said...

oh oh oh oh oh ! That first one! Want want bad.