March 9, 2010

Studio Makeover

Well, since Tari aired her dirty studio on the ABS this weekend, I thought I'd share some of my real world studio pics. While I'm a create-in-the-clutter kind of girl myself, I find that I need order and mental space to work productively on my book.  So for the last 3 days we have been working like little pups trying to get this room cleaned out, organized and add in some new elements. It helps that my mom is on her way this week and that was a nice deadline.

I work horizontal, with everything spread out and piled around me, while only working in a very small space.  This system is not very effecient and more out of habit than anything else. My bead table was a similar monster. I worked on a bead board and the rest of the 4" table was just piles and a mess.
After talking with a good friend about studio spaces and work habits, she suggested I get a peg board and store things vertical, still out in the open and visible but leaving me with more table space to work on.  The other idea I had for the space after my last studio overhaul was to create an island with shelves underneath.  And hey, that's just what we did!


So here is a sneak peak.  I'm still trying to decide if I can live with this bright and funky green.  The walls are a very washed out teal and I thought the green would bring in some energy, but I think it just gives me a headache. I may paint it teal.  But the jury is still out on that one.  It's a little more of a yellow-olive green, the color in the photo is brighter than it acutally is.  But moving on, look there is my island!  We used two small shelves underneath and a salvaged office work surface. 

Okay, you will have to come back tomorrow to see more photos.  It looks so different now.  All the tools are on the peg board.  We installed a shelf under the board for more storage.  We put in a window seat/bench/bookshelf dealy in front of the two large windows.  And hey, it's clean now!

13 comments:

Beverly Herman said...

It looks just like it did the last time I came to visit!! I can't wait to see what you have done. Just a few more days!

CraftyHope said...

OH! I've been working in a similar state of chaos and am constantly trying to find storage solutions that are functional as well as 'pretty.' I love what you've done so far and can't wait to see more!!
Yay!

Unknown said...

I too, have the tiny workspace on a big table! are you available for hire?;)

Gaea said...

NICE! It must be nearly spring because my studio looks about like your studio (worse actually!) and I'm in need of a clean-up and reorganizing! I'm looking forward to being inspired by you!

TesoriTrovati said...

It gives me hope...when I see that I am not the only one who works in such a space!
Just mere moments ago I scored an antique Hamilton printer's cabinet with 21 drawers filled with all sorts of nooks and crannies! Now I need to pay for it and drive 3 hours to where it is so that I can pick it up! It was a pricey little number, but my biggest issue is clutter and not being able to see what I have. This should help immensely!
And my tip, that I am resurrecting in my new space is the wall o' metal. I have a friend at a local heating and cooling shop who installed a piece of sheet metal on my wall above my counters. I plan on that again. Handy to use as an inspiration board with movable magnets. Can't wait to get that installed as well!
I will share pictures of my great find as soon as I can!
I am all a-squee!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Cindy said...

Hi Heather
I can relate as well....I have bins of beads all over my work space with just a tiny bit of the table visable underneath! I think that is a GREAT idea to think vertical and hang things out of the way on the walls.... looking forward to seeing your updated studio!

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

I am so happy you aired your dirty studio too! I've made a little progress just not enough! Can't wait to see it when it's complete!

DigitalGal said...

Lovely space.. :) Have a great working spirit!

..the green looks really bright.. you might consider a nice staining technique for to make the color less popping.. just pass over with a sponge using some pastel tonality colors..like vanilla..just white..or any other of your choice.. ;)

Irena

Unknown said...

My work space rooms been hi~jacked and I miss it alot! Family moved back in for a bit. So my things are boxed up. You should see my kitchen table! But atleast I still can work and create I say to myself! Your new diggs will be awesome!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see the finished space! Looks great so far.
Bead Happy!
Michelle

gerri newfry said...

it looks great heather! i love chartreuse, so i love the color of the peg board. mine is just natural colored, in the big tool room. i have a lot of shelves, so i don't think i'd be able to put up peg board in the actual studio.

i also work in a space about 4 in square.

love the island!

Gail said...

I think it looks real neat and clean and organized.Like a work station waiting for someone to come use it.You have done alot of work and it shows.Great!

Lin S. said...

Heather, you are such an inspiration. Yesterday I bought Stringing and already have dog-eared many pages--including those with your fab beads. Today I cleaned and reorganized my creative room. Thanks for jumpstarting the right side of my brain! Cheers. Lin Standke