July 28, 2011

Ombre Necklace

This was an experiment I whipped up this weekend.  I wanted to try something that was a little modern and was definitely influenced by the ombre and color spectrums I've been seeing on Pinterest lately.

I created a set of disk beads in a green, teal and purple colorway using my willow, birch and floral designs for each bead.

I then fashioned a chain out of steel wire.  I love that every part of this necklace was created by me, from the beads, to the chain - even the jump rings and clasp.  (There are some tiny nickel seed beads tucked in between the disks.) It's amazing what you can do with wire.   

I'm working on designs for fall and holiday shows.  I would like to have a line of jewelry that I offer on a more regular basis. 

Sometimes I miss making jewelry and selling at shows, that is where I started when I was in art school.  Jess and I would do shows together on the weekends.  I miss those summer Art in the Park events, meeting customers, visiting with other artists, spending the day outside - hopefully under a canopy of trees and with a fresh cool breeze.  Yep, miss those days! 

In between the weekends of the big shows we'd set up for a few hours at the farmer's market - mixed in among fresh flowers and an abundance of zucchinis, crisp green beans and juicy tomatoes.  And then as September came we would enjoy our weekends in churches and high schools, selling at holiday shows until December.  Those were fun and simpler times.  Doing those smaller shows definitely have their place when paying your dues and building up your client base.  We sort of out grew the 'crafts-on-a-stick' shows while living here in Texas.  I know now to focus on shows that feature art work and higher end crafts. 

How about you - do you do shows?  What are your favorite types?  I still like shopping at all of them! 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love these beads - beautiful. I am going to add them to my Monday Wish List!

I haven't done any shows yet - I am fairly new to beading but a friend has turned my arm into having a booth at a market day in October. I am very nervous and am trying to find ideas of things to make so that the day will be a success. :)

Bead Soup Mix

SummersStudio said...

That's a lovely colour palette and the steel chain you made is really nice. I'm starting to miss the monthly art market I did when we lived in TX. It's rather thrilling to know who something I make is going home with.

Pretty Things said...

I do shows -- it's how I started. I used to do about 20 a year and now do about 5, but they're all huge three-day things. In fact, I'm writing this watching my husband stick stickers and stamps on 500 postcards to customers. He's a good hubby!

SueBeads said...

Really cool colors - I love it!

Elizabeth said...

Ombre styles always stand the test of time. Very nice, Heather.

Karin Slaton said...

My head is always turned by the allure of ombre. Your colors, graduating from greens to purples, are positively intoxicating! Fantastic piece. Oh, and I'm doing my first artist's show this Fall. My sister lives in KY, I live in GA, and we're each traveling halfway -exhibiting together in Nashville!

treasureislandcrafts said...

We started the school and church circuit in Kentucky and Tennessee in the eighties, dropped out in the nineties and started back when the economy got rough in the 2000's. Small shows are not as profitable as they were in the "country goose" era. Trying to get the inventory (and courage) to work our way up to bigger and better shows.

Aquariart said...

Love it! I was going through my beads and organizing yesterday and wondering what to do with all the little non-matching orphans- well you just gave me a great way to do that. Love the color wave and simplicity of the rest of the necklace. Thanks for you comments on my July Challenge piece. It made my day which started off great but has ended with extroadinary health insurance hassles. You helped me smile- Thank you!!

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Both the beads and necklace are gorgeous! I really like the contemporary aspect of the necklace.

Carol B said...

I love everything about that necklace! :) I started out doing indoor bead shows and now only do one a year. My favorites are the outdoor art shows in the spring or fall.

Nissa said...

I love the colors! As of right now I have only participated in one jewelry event. Hopefully there will be more in my future!
I'm a new follower!
Nissa
http://versatilejewelry.blogspot.com