May 15, 2012

Seeing Red

Are you scared of red?  I tend to shy away from this color myself.  I would be hard pressed to find red beads in my stash, other than the few that I have created. 

I think it's because I'm never sure what to do with it. 

There are so many pitfalls with red:

Red + Green = Holiday
Red + Purple = Red Hat Ladies
Red + Black = Vampire
Red + Pink = Valentine

I think the trick to red and I could be wrong, but my thought is it to pair it neutrals - like charcoal gray, smokey quartz, earthy browns (like wood) and creams.  And then throw in several bright colors like these:

(Images from Pinterest - sorry, they weren't attributed.) 

Red + Teal + Yellow + Green
Red + Orange + Red + Purple
Red + Teal + Orange + Purple

I've been looking through images of bohemian styles and Indian cultures and how they pair red with other colors.  Layer on textures and fibers to give red a rich backdrop.  I also like the idea of mixing patterns like floral with geometric designs.  Several necklaces or bracelets paired together offer a bolder statement that are so in for this summer.  Chain and silk in varying lengths are an easy way to add layers with several larger pendants.

Hopefully this will give you some inspiration for playing around with bolder colors.  I know I'm looking forward to creating jewelry inspired by summer's trendier styles.


 Poppies and other red beads can found in my Etsy shop.

9 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I actually love red! I just finished a piece that features tiny pops of red with a fresh lime green, and I don't think it looks holiday at all! I do like the deeper reds, like your poppies. So very mysterious and passionate, don't you think?
Love your new ideas! Can't wait to see how that inspires you!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Zuda Gay Pease said...

They are gorgeous! Red is my favorite color!

sandi m said...

Heather, I love this poppy. My neighbor's are blooming outside right now!
Red is my favorite color. It is part of so many of my designs that I have to remember that not everyone likes it, or looks good in it.
Can't wait to see your poppy designs.

lynsey said...

Lovely Beads Heather.
I love red, I to tend to keep away from the traditional mixes of Red and Green (bluegh!!) etc. I love to pair it with other brights, It looks great with teal and purple

sasha + max studio said...

Gorgeous beads, Heather. I adore red, I pair it with blue, charcoal, teal, deep ebony brown wood (but not green, as you say, can be a touch festive!) Go the red, jump in !

Marie Cramp said...

You expressed my feelings about red exactly! That is why I normally end up using red all by itself, or throwing in a single bead with whatever I am making. Love the idea of more mixing! I may have some new inspiration brewing!!

Anonymous said...

I love red, and probably have more red beads than any other color. I do know what you mean about the color combos! I picked red for the one crayon color challenge, and have never used ALL red in a piece before. That scared me a bit. I really like your beads, especially the one with the bird. Thanks for the color combo (red with neutrals) idea. Can't wait to give that a try!

Lynda said...

Love this deep rich red you've used, Heather. And your inspiration board is a great nudge to open up to the possible pairings with other colors.
Thanks so much!

Lynda

Cece Cormier said...

Love those poppies. Agree, the Indian/Gypsy artists do have the knack for making colors pop in their pieces.