May 11, 2012

Trunk Shows

Last month, Rosanne and I headed east to visit Stony Creek Beads for a trunk show and book signing. This gem of a bead store is located in Ypsilanti, just south of Ann Arbor.  Rosanne and I knew were where in trouble the moment we walked in the door.  The owner, Jennifer Schwartzenberger, has amassed a treasure trove of Czech glass, seed beads, stones, crystals and oh so much more!  Stony Creek Beads is also one of the most 'art beady' stores I've ever visited.  She had lampwork, polymer clay, pewter and ceramics on display from various local and national artists. 

If you are on the east side of Michigan or anywhere within driving distance, Stony Creek is worth a visit!


Jennifer and her mom, Susan Schwartzenberger. 

And yes, I have a feeling they have enabled many a bead addict!  The best thing about Stony Creek Beads is that you immediately feel welcomed when you walk in the door.  There wasn't a customer who came in that day who wasn't asked, "What can I help you find?" I loved that!  And their regular customers who came to visit that day were treated like family. 

It was a fun to meet some online friends in person, like Marla James of Marla's Mud - who brought me the cutest ceramic owl pendant and Lisa Lodge from Pine Ridge Treasures.
Another fun thing was to see was Stony Creek customers arrive wearing jewelry they had made using my beads.  The bead store purchased beads before the trunk show to introduce me to their customers.  They arrived wearing the sweetest creations.   I'm so sorry, I don't remember names.  I'm terrible at that - so if you know who is in the photos please let me know! 

This lovely lady created the Birch Forest Bracelet from my book!

My Van Gogh goes were very popular and had made their way into several bracelets!

My friend Susan Kolovson stopped in sporting her Humblebeads! Susan has joined me for several Bead Cruises and my Inspired by Nature Retreat.  I'm always so happy to see her!  Another Bead Cruise buddy, Liz Thompson, spent the day with us too visiting with us during lunch.

Rosanne and I had a great time. At the end of the day all of my books were sold, the bead trays were much lighter and we had bags of new beads after shopping too! Pure joy!

Trunk shows and book signings are by far my favorite kind of events.  I love meeting new people, the bead stores are always fun to visit and I'm appreciative of the owners efforts to promote my work.  I always make new things just for trunk shows, so customers get to see exclusives before I offer them online.  I love meeting people and talking about jewelry design, beads and inspiration!

I hope to get a few more trunk shows scheduled soon - my traveling shoes are itching to go!

6 comments:

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Lovely pictures! Looks like you had a great time, too!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Heather! It was so nice meeting you and experiencing Stony Creek Beads for the first time. They truly are welcoming. Wish I could have purchased all of your lovely creations (and all of their lovely beads)!

Unknown said...

I love spending time in bead stores. It is refreshingly different from visiting at a show.

A Polymer Penchant said...

Wow, looks like so much fun! Reminds me again that I really need to get a review of your wonderful book up on amazon.ca

what smartly dressed and well bejeweled bunch!

Marla James said...

It was great to meet you in person, Heather! I look forward to hanging out with you and beading. :-) Thanks for including me in your blog post too.
Marla

Cindy said...

Heather, this is such a great post! The trunk show looks like it was so much fun...and what I really loved was to see all of the smiling faces and the jewlelry that people created inspired by your beads and your book!