September 15, 2012

All That Glitters is Gold?

Today at the Rings & Things Trunk Show I picked up some gold plated findings on a whim.  Once I got them home, I just wasn't sure.  I don't know why I feel that way - I use gunmetal plated brass all the time.  Maybe it's just the gold color in general.  It's not the rich tones of brass that I'm used to, but there is something appealing about it for fall.  I added in tiny links with faceted brass beads and rutilated quartz.  I'm pretty happy with it.

What do you think of plated metals?  Sign of times/economy?  Does it really matter as long as the design is good and the piece beautiful?  That's what I'm hoping.
My show spoils were mostly findings that I need to stock up on, which is kind of like buying socks and underwear when you want to pick up sweaters and dresses and well, you get the point.  It was tempting but I was a woman on a mission.

And speaking of things that are golden - Ms. Mallory Hoffman of Rosebud's Lampwork gifted me with these yummy disks in purple and gold hues.  Thanks Mallory!

6 comments:

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

I truly think plated metals are a sign of the times. I had an open house this week, and nearly everything that sold was made with plated metals. Very few sterling items sold, except earrings. A lot of people still prefer sterling hooks.

I like the leaf necklace, it's really gorgeous. Very rich looking.

Libellula Jewelry™ said...

Beautiful necklace!

I find that a lot of people refuse to buy copper (even if they're not sensitive to it), won't spring for sterling silver, but won't buy plated metals either. I'm having a hard time finding exactly *what* people really want.

rosebud101 said...

You're welcome, Heather!!!

TesoriTrovati said...

I almost always use plated metals. Always have. I never really got into the sterling silver craze. I just never wore much of it myself. I have been finding more and more really great plated metal options out there. And there is so much fun to be had with patinas on pewter and brass and copper. I love mixed metals and my customers do too. As long as you tell them what it is I think it is fine. It makes me laugh everytime someone tells me that Lia Sophia is sterling silver. Bah! And the gold looks so great with these fall looks. I look at metals as another color in my crayon box! Enjoy the day. Erin

Mary Newton Designs said...

It's not plated metals per se that I mind. It's how they wear. I try to make things that will last and if the plate wears off I would be very disappointed. I love sterling and have used it for years and now I also use copper, but I use Ren Wax to preserve the finish. I've tried brass wire and I'm just not crazy about it.

AntiquityTravelers said...

Love the plate metal - will be wonderful for fall patterns!