October 28, 2010

Autumn Bliss

Every leaf speaks bliss to me

Fluttering from the autumn tree.

-Emily Bronte

When I was eleven I would go and spend the weekends with my dad and step-mom. We would play rummy (cards), charades and watch movies on some weird 1980's disc player - that I thought was pretty cutting edge.  Charlotte's web was a favorite. They lived in a cozy log cabin near a woody area and we would spend hours walking through the forest.

I loved walking in those woods. On one fall Saturday morning as we walked the paths through the trees, my dad ran across a sassafras tree and noticed the roots were sticking out in the path.  He extracted some of the roots, proudly telling me that is what they used to make root beer out of - hence the root in name!  He decided we should try our hand at making sassafras tea and gathered a few more roots.  It really did taste like root beer. 

I love memories like those, the simple joys of nature and childhood.  I think about those times when I create beads and jewelry that reflect my love of the outdoors and the beauty of creation.

The scoop on the bracelet: I whipped that up using some parts left over from my wreath project.  I used one of Vintaj's Maple Leaf Blank and created a texture with a riveting hammer.  I riveted a leaf pendant to the blank and layered a fern charm on top. (I love layering Vintaj components.)

7 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

That story just makes me love you even more. What a great tale of being connected to family and home and nature. And layering Vintaj gives it an incredible amount of depth, especially if you texturize or add color or something. Thank you for sharing that today.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

SummersStudio said...

We share another thing :-). Much of my design muse finds my childhood an interesting playground. Lovely story to go with a lovely bracelet. It's been wonderful to see your jewelry over the past little while. Even lovlier to hear your story.

Bead-Mused said...

Heather, you should visit Lost Maples State Park. We spent Thanksgiving there a couple of years ago. It was a little late in the season, but the leaves were still gorgeous. I couldn't stop taking pictures. And my New York raised husband said it was the closest he's been to Autumn since moving to Texas back in the 80s.

The leaf piece is fabulous!If it were me, I'd be hard pressed to let it go!

Pretty Things said...

This bracelet is utterly amazing!

Alice said...

What a great story! Growing up my weekends were spent visiting my father's parents on their farm, or wandering around in the basement of my maternal grandparents where my grandfather kept all his 'found' items (I'm sure he was the original dumpster diver). Then we would go to a low water bridge and spash around, or take a drive down gravel roads to explore wooded areas. I don't think kids do this now days--and it makes me a little sad.

The bracelet is just breathtaking!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Sooo pretty I could almost hear the leaves crunching under my feet!

Heather said...

I love this bracelet! All that metal texture and your stunning beads are a perfect match. Very Nice!