October 27, 2010

Growing

“Learn and grow all you can; serve and befriend all you can; enrich and inspire all you can.” - William Arthur Ward


I've had a challenging month, to say the least. I won't share details, because they are private family matters, but I have had to do a lot of reflection on how I'm living my life, spending my time and affecting those around me. I have spent the last few years with the single focus of growing my business. With my husbands' periods of unemployment it was a necessity. But I've had to stop and ask myself - at what cost?

As I was working this week I've been researching and focusing on what it means to share and tell your story as an artist. I feel my own story has been overshadowed by the bottom line of running a business. You can not pour water out of an empty pitcher - what do I fill my soul up for inspiration? What relationships am I cultivating to enrich my journey? Does the fruit of my labor reward my family or are the sacrifices I've asked of them too much?

Unfortunately there are no easy answers, it's just a daily growing and being available to those around me. Just knowing that the questions need to be asked is a good first step.

“Don't go through life, grow through life.” - Eric Butterworth



Vintaj arte metal name tag, jump rings, wire & bead caps. Humblebeads' acorn. Silk Cord from Angela Brittain.

7 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

There's a reason they are called 'growing pains' because they are a pain in the you-know-where! I am sorting through some similar issues of growth and stretching my wings, although we are on different levels. I am keeping you in my thoughts...
I was reading my Creative Entrepreneur book last night and this stood out to me... "Whenever we say yes to something, we are by definition saying no to something else"... that has so much power and weight with me of late. And every choice we make defines us but also impacts others. Hmmmm... much to chew on here...

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Mermaid Glass said...

Wow, this post is like a sound-bite from my own inner conversation. I completely understand when it feels like it's all about the business and the truly important, beautiful moments of family life are passing by. Good luck on your journey.

Pretty Things said...

My absolute best to you. I understand the "at what cost" bit -- been going through that myself. It's such a hard road to walk when you work for yourself, not as a hobby, but as a real business.

SummersStudio said...

Yeppers, I am right there with you at what cost does it come to grow. And I don't even have children at home but still I miss some things because of being too focussed on the biz.

I love this bracelet. I love what it means. I love that it is photographed on your daughter's wrist (I think).

Life is good. We just have to stop every once in a while to have a good long look at it and soak it all in.

rosebud101 said...

In spite of all of your challenges, you have done remarkably well and stayed creative. I hope you are able to take the time to nurture you. That is so important! Take care.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Wow - I think you have spoken for many of us. I am just beginning my business journey and struggle daily with time,planning, dreams, hopes, reality, money and the hopes and dreams of 4 boys and a husband. Some days it is almost impossible to keep up and/or separate my time and I often wonder , "How in the world do people do this???". Just know you are not alone!A thoughtful piece of inspiration and a beautiful bracelet! (((HUGS))) PAtty

Susan said...

Love the bracelet, Heather! What size wire do you use for the wrapping? (If you stated this already, I missed it.)
Thanks!